Hi James,

This is superb work.  I've just taken a flight in the c172p to try out
the new features, and I'm very impressed.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM, James Turner wrote:
>         - made a 'right-drag to look' mouse mode, which I think should be on
> by default (with the current behaviour available for people who prefer it).
> Also there is now visual feedback when changing the mouse mode 'statefully',
> which is still available via the TAB key in addition to right-clicking.

Though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool mouse-looker who continually switched
between cursor and mouse-look, I'm completely converted to this way of
looking - way more intuitive IMO and really easy for users to learn.

One minor suggestion - I used the mouse wheel field-of-view control a
lot when in look mode.  Having it change the field of view while the
right mouse button is pressed would be good.

>         - made dedicated animation components for knobs / sliders, with
> unified handling of buttons / mouse wheel / dragging.

I particularly like how this reduces XML file complexity.

>         - added tooltips, and hover-feedback for pickable areas in cockpits

I'm seeing some bugs in this, in particular after hovering over some
control in the c172p (possibly the alitmeter?) I got "Aircraft Help"
displayed as all tooltips, and the following errors in the console:

Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  at /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/geo.nas, line 241
  called from: /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 167
  called from: /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 119
  called from: /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 91
  called from: /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 270
  called from: /home/stuart/FlightGear/data/Nasal/canvas/tooltip.nas, line 313

geo.normgeg should probably be more robust....

As a "bonus" function, for multi-mode toggle switches, it would be
great to be able to define labels for different values (e.g. 0=OFF,
1=ON)

> For more complex aircraft such as the Constellation, Concorde or 747, adding
> tooltips will be a lot of work, but greatly assist in figuring out what
> everything does.

Well, such is the price of progress.

-Stuart