On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Thomas Albrecht wrote:
> If I had a limited number of "complex" (as in > 8 vertices per model) shared
> models, and place a total of 50000 instances in a scene, could this be made to
> occupy significantly less RAM than 50000 individual models?

In theory yes - that's what the SHARED verb on the .stg file is for.
The idea was to
only have one model loaded, and then place it multiple times in the scenegraph.

However, IIRC there was an issue with memory management in OSG which meant
that when a tile containing SHARED entries was unloaded, it caused
FG to churn for a while updating various pointer counters.  I don't
think this was
ever resolved, so currently each SHARED instance is loaded individually.

While this approach would reduce RAM usage, it would be at the expense of
frame-rate, as the 50000 models would still each require OSG state change.

Sadly, nothing is for free :(.

-Stuart