(I'm assuming the basics of Mac are the same as Linux.)

If you are copying the files to a system directory (basically anywhere
outside your Home directory), you'll need to use sudo in Terminal.

Alternatively (at least for the scenery), you can tell FlightGear to use
scenery that are located elsewhere in addition to the included aircraft
and scenery. To do this, when running FlightGear, for the fg-scenery
parameter, append your scenery directory with a colon. For example, you
would type fgfs --fg-scenery=<base_scenery_path>:<your_scenery_path>.
Replace <base_scenery_path> with the path to the base scenery, and
<your_scenery_path> with the path to your scenery. Note that the given
folders must have the folders Airport, Objects, and/or Terrain.