On 09/08/2013 12:16 PM, Clement de l'Hamaide wrote:
> I'm glad to see you are looking at simgear's update for Debian.
> However we are ready to release simgear 2.12 in next days, so I would
> suggest you to spend your time with simgear 2.12 instead of (soon
> outdated) 2.10

I'm aware of the upcoming release, eagerly awaiting it, and have already
started packing. Given the decision to slip the 2.12 release, I decided
to move on with 2.10 rather than wait another month, though.

I'll certainly focus on 2.12 as soon as it's released. I don't think it
changes a lot WRT portability, though. Do you?

> We have a lot of lacks for many years about package diffusion for
> Ubuntu/Debian ( version 2.6 is still diffused while we released 2.8 one
> year ago and 2.10 6 months ago) How can I help you maintaining this
> diffusion in order to always diffuse the latest stable version ?

There are a few areas where I could need help or need to feed patches
back. You could take a look at the patches currently applied to 2.10.

Another issue I run into was the mixture of GPL vs LGPL in simgear. I
personally don't care much, really. As a packager, though, I'd
appreciate if at least all the files that are under copyright by the
flightgear authors were released under the same license. (IANAL, but
given there are GPL files in simgear, my understanding is that the
entire library can only be used under the terms of the (more
restrictive) GPL, rather than LGPL).

Another thing I'm not sure about is the versioning policy. My
understanding is that minor versions are not compatible between each
other (i.e. 2.10 vs 2.12). How about the patch version? Is a
(hypothetical) simgear 2.10.1 compatible with flightgear 2.10.0? Or vice
versa? (FWIW, the former packager (Ove) took the pessimistic approach
and I didn't change that.).

> About platform's support: looking at our lacks I would suggest to focus
> on main platforms for now.
> If we are able to provide the 2.12 version for amd64 and i386 we are
> feeding 95% (maybe more) of our users.

According to Debian's popularity contest, we're closer to 98.4% of the
participating systems being i386/amd64 (including the kfreebsd ones).
And given that the next best two, i.e. ARM (arm, armel, armhf, together
0.8%) and PowerPC (0.5%) can hardly be considered gaming platforms,
we're reasonably close to 100%.

However, I like diversity and given the successes on sparc and mipsel
give me hope of an easy fix...

> Linux users are lucky to have a package manager (compared to Windows
> users who need to download the package by searching on the Web) so it's
> important to keep the diffused package up-to-date in order to give a
> better experience to our users.

Agreed.

Markus Wanner