* Nathaniel Homier -- Wednesday 12 December 2007:
> ~$signs -v --aircraft=OV10_NASA --airport=KSFO gives a can't open socket
> error.

That's a problem with your fgfs then. I guess that the default address
localhost:5500 is already used on your system, so it can't be opened
again. Your command line works here with fgfs v1.0(pre). (It doesn't
with fg/osg, but that's a bug there.)

> I downloaded signs and extracted it to /usr/share/games/FlightGear.  I
> then edited the signs script at line 11 to say

You shouldn't (have to) edit that. It just uses the "fgfs" that's
found in the $PATH, no matter where it is.

> I have my worldscenery at ~/.worldscenery. [...]
> Also I would like to know if signs reads fgfsrc for scenery locations
> when using the -c option.

signs doesn't care about your scenery. It has all the locations in its
DB (for which the airports were extracted from the previous version of
apt.dat.gz). So, no, it doesn't read ~/.fgfsrc.

> I would like to put the cache in my home folder,

That doesn't work -- at least not directly, but this is not a problem
in the script, but with fgfs itself, because that searches all files
by a path relative to $FG_ROOT.

But what you can do is to make a link:

  $ mkdir -p ~/.fgfs/signs
  $ ln -s ~/.fgfs $FG_ROOT/Local

> Also will signs and freq be ready for version 1.0.

Both are ready.  :-)

m.