On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:57:15 +0100, Melchior wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> * Thomas Förster -- Friday 07 December 2007:
> > As a first, easy measure it's probably a good idea to put a note
> > on the website, stating that all images are copyright protected
> > and may only be used with permission.
>
> You'd have to make that "... may only be used in context with
> FlightGear if the name 'FlightGear' and a link to
> http://www.flightgear.org/ is put on the same page in readable
> color and font, and at least the font size that's used for the
> main contents of that page, but at least ..." ... yadda, yadda
> ... ask a lawyer.
>
> We don't want to prohibit the

...fair...

> use of our screenshots in reviews
> and reports about FlightGear. They are usually quite good and
> better than what the reviewers would come up with. They are good
> advertisement.
>
> m.

..fair use, is an American concept in the U.S. Copyright Act.
It is a fair assumption on the part of reviewers, forkers,
that the FG "IP" is available under that exemption under the
U.S. Copyright Act and in the spirit of the GPL.

..fair use is not allowed under many other jurisdictions, we are
however _able_ to allow such fair use in those countries, and we
may want to clarify these issues, at least for the artwork not
covered under FG's GPL.

..and, we should enforce it to avoid having some asshole get case
law in place to run off with our stuff, and even rip us off.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: