Yes, I have an xml file for the freedom2.4 joystick. It is in the path and file
Input/Joysticks/Logitech/freedom2_4.xml.  I tried your suggestion of editing
the joystick.xml file, but it appears to just read the same file.

This is the freedom2_4.xml

---- Begin freedom2_4.xml ---
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!--
* Bindings for Logitech Freeedom2-4 (USB) joystick based on
* Bindings for Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D (USB) joystick.
*
*
* Axis 0: ailerons
* Axis 1: elevator
* Axis 2 (slider): throttle
* Axis 3 (twist): rudder
* Axes 6 and 7 (hat): view direction
*
* Button 0: all brakes
* Button 1: trigger
* Button 2: elevator trim up
* Button 3: flap up
* Button 4: elevator trim down
* Button 5: flap down
* Button 6: right brake only
* Button 7: left brake only
* Button 8: prop coarse (advance)
* Button 9: prop fine (retard)

-->
<PropertyList>
        <name>Logitech Freedom 2.4</name>
        <name>Logitech Logitech Freedom 2.4</name>
        <name>Logitech Freedom 2.4 USB</name>

        <axis>
                <desc>Aileron</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>0</unix>
                        <windows>0</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-scale</command>
                        <property>/controls/flight/aileron</property>
                        <squared type="bool">true</squared>
                </binding>
        </axis>

        <axis>
                <desc>Elevator</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>1</unix>
                        <windows>1</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-scale</command>
                        <property>/controls/flight/elevator</property>
                        <factor type="double">-1.0</factor>
                        <squared type="bool">true</squared>
                </binding>
        </axis>

        <axis>
                <desc>Throttle</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>3</unix>
                        <windows>2</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.throttleAxis()</script>
                </binding>
        </axis>

        <axis>
                <desc>Rudder</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>2</unix>
                        <windows>3</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-scale</command>
                        <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
                        <factor type="double">1.0</factor>
                </binding>
        </axis>

        <axis>
                <desc>View Direction</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>4</unix>
                        <windows>6</windows>
                </number>
                <low>
                        <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                        <binding>
                                <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/sim/current-view/goal-heading-offset-deg</property>
                                <step type="double">5.0</step>
                        </binding>
                </low>
                <high>
                        <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                        <binding>
                                <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/sim/current-view/goal-heading-offset-deg</property>
                                <step type="double">-5.0</step>
                        </binding>
                </high>
        </axis>

        <axis>
                <desc>View Elevation</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>5</unix>
                        <windows>7</windows>
                </number>
                <low>
                        <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                        <binding>
                                <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/sim/current-view/goal-pitch-offset-deg</property>
                                <step type="double">5.0</step>
                        </binding>
                </low>
                <high>
                        <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                        <binding>
                                <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/sim/current-view/goal-pitch-offset-deg</property>
                                <step type="double">-5.0</step>
                        </binding>
                </high>
        </axis>

        <button>
                <desc>Brakes</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>0</unix>
                        <windows>0</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.applyBrakes(1)</script>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>nasal</command>
                                <script>controls.applyBrakes(0)</script>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Trigger</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>1</unix>
                        <windows>1</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-assign</command>
                        <property>ai/submodels/trigger</property>
                        <value type="bool">1</value>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>property-assign</command>
                                <property>ai/submodels/trigger</property>
                                <value type="bool">0</value>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Elevator trim up</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>2</unix>
                        <windows>2</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable type="bool">true</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.elevatorTrim(-1)</script>
                </binding>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Elevator trim down</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>4</unix>
                        <windows>4</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable type="bool">true</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.elevatorTrim(1)</script>
                </binding>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Flaps down</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>3</unix>
                        <windows>3</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable>false</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.flapsDown(-1)</script>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>nasal</command>
                                <script>controls.flapsDown(0)</script>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Flaps up</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>5</unix>
                        <windows>5</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable>false</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.flapsDown(1)</script>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>nasal</command>
                                <script>controls.flapsDown(0)</script>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Left brake</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>6</unix>
                        <windows>6</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.applyBrakes(1, -1)</script>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>nasal</command>
                                <script>controls.applyBrakes(0, -1)</script>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Right brake</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>7</unix>
                        <windows>7</windows>
                </number>
                <binding>
                        <command>nasal</command>
                        <script>controls.applyBrakes(1, 1)</script>
                </binding>
                <mod-up>
                        <binding>
                                <command>nasal</command>
                                <script>controls.applyBrakes(0, 1)</script>
                        </binding>
                </mod-up>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Propeller Coarse</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>8</unix>
                        <windows>8</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/controls/engines/engine/propeller-pitch</property>
                        <step type="double">0.1</step>
                        <min type="double">-1</min>
                        <max type="double">1</max>
                </binding>
        </button>

        <button>
                <desc>Propeller Fine</desc>
                <number>
                        <unix>9</unix>
                        <windows>9</windows>
                </number>
                <repeatable>true</repeatable>
                <binding>
                        <command>property-adjust</command>

<property>/controls/engines/engine/propeller-pitch</property>
                        <step type="double">-0.1</step>
                        <min type="double">-1</min>
                        <max type="double">1</max>
                </binding>
        </button>
        <!-- -->
</PropertyList>

---- End freedom2_4.xml ---

I also ran fgjs and created a js0.xml with some interesting results.  Now the
Aileron, Elevator, and rudder Axes work, but the throttle axis, the cooley hat
axes and NONE of the buttons do not.  I can send that file separately.

I was looking at some of the other joystick xml files and noticed some tags

Would this be an issue?

Thanks for your help

Jack

On Aug 2,---- Begin freedom2_4.xml ---