I have down load several recent GIT versions of flightgear and have
recently got the same problem while compiling.  That is a missed linked
error from gcc. So I wrote a openSuSE bug report.  Which came back with

FlightGear misses -lfontconfig   Bug 717167

I have tried it both ways with cmake and configure.  Both fail to
compile all the way.

I will be willing to check it if I only knew where to put it.  I
CMakeCache.lst, configure or Makefile
--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street    Email:" n5...@comcast.net "