Hi all!
I myself use fltk2 and it's the best toolkit I ever tried.
The only problem is that it has a great amount of bugs.
IMHO, if the branches are developed separately, fltk2 has little chances to be
ever released.
And while fltk2 adds new cool features, it's getting more and more far from
fltk1.

What I propose:
Since f1 and f2 have different widgets semantics, different structure - it's
impossible to just merge them. But they are relying on similar abstraction
layers, like drawing layer, filesystem layer etc
So I would do the following: move all necessary abstraction layers to a
distinct lib, called, say, fltk-base, make it have some consistent
interface(maybe place it in namespace fltk::base). And the most important -
make both fltk1 and fltk2 use it.

And is there some IRC channel or something? If the developers consider this
idea reasonable(and if not), I would like to talk about it.