I wrote:
> > Rather than using a Composite (in the Design Patterns sense)
> > would it not be possible to extend the current children idea
> > so that there are "actual" children and "adopted" children.

Albrecht replied:
> Yes, that's what my implementation does and what I tried to
> describe in the other thread.
>
> [with definitions of "actual" and "adopted" switched]

I'm afraid I got lost in the implementation details because I'm not
really that familiar with the internals of the different widgets.
I just wanted to make the general distinction between "mandatory"
and "optional" children in a possible future widget hierarchy.

The basic Composite (in the Design Patterns sense) doesn't have
this distinction. A component is either a composite with children,
or it is a leaf. We really need a modified composite with "fixed"
children and "optional" children.

Good to know that we are discussing variations on the same theme.

D.