On 8 Feb 2010, at 18:36, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:

> However, since type() [3] is a fast inline method and the new
> proposed methods are virtual, there might be a small performance
> penalty if we would replace this all over in the FLTK core.

Yup - it's been a long time since I measured it, and I dare say
modern C++ implementations are more efficient, but back then, virtual
methods were measureably slow - all the indirection and so forth...

That said, I think this sounds like a good idea, if we can show that
it works and is not too slow...

Does anyone have a feel for just how often the type stuff actually
gets called? If it is not so often, then the impact of using the
virtual methods would be similarly small...

Still, +1 in principle...