> Our team is developing a product that uses the toolkit intensively.
> At certain point we will need UTF-8 support there. So, it's crucial
> for us to get an estimate on when FLTK 1.3 is going to be released.

Probably not until the 11 Open Feature Requests and 31 Open Bugs in
the development version have been addressed. You can see the full
details at http://www.fltk.org/roadmap.php

As with a lot of Open Source projects, the FLTK development team is
quite small, and is made up of unpaid volunteers working in their
own time. Full time jobs, families, and real-life get in the way :-)

I think that one major difference with this release is that most of
the developers are working in plain ASCII or Latin environments, and
have limited experience with intimate details of "exotic" languages
such as Chinese or Arabic. Several problems have come up recently
relating to displaying CJK characters that have uncovered limitations
in the FL_Text_{Buffer,Display,Editor} classes that need to be solved.

Users with experience of non-Latin character input and display, and
UTF-8 in general, are encouraged to report any problems that they may
have had, to fltk.general or fltk.development in the first instance,
so that the developers can investigate further. You may be asked to
submit a report via http://www.fltk.org/str.php so that files can be
added, and where it can be tracked and not forgotten. You can also
investigate the source of a problem and provide patches to solve it.

Bear in mind that FLTK-1.3 is only looking at the display of UTF-8
for the moment. If you need character composition, complex layout,
hyphenation, sorting, right-to-left text, etc. then you will need to
use another library that can handle that, e.g. pango, icu4c, etc.

Hope this makes things clearer.
Duncan