acr's fix in STR#2366 seems to solve several STRs.

The fix seems to ensure the keysym setting below the change
is processed by XKeycodeToKeysym(), but seems like it may also
short circuit a lot of UTF8 related work above it.

So I'm guessing either the fix is correct, or the UTF8 related code
above it is not correctly setting the keysym.

There are very few comments in this section of code, so I can't even
tell what's going on.

Was hoping someone familiar with X events could take a quick look
and say either 'yeah, the fix is obvious', or 'Hmm, this needs more
investigation..'