On 19.05.2011, at 16:00, MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK) wrote:

>> What is the release plan for 1.4 and how will new features be
>> handled for 1.3?
>
> There's no specific plan for 1.4 - for now it's a placekeeper for things
> that will probably appear in 1.3, but need to be set aside in the short
> term to get the initial 1.3 release out.
>
> The intent is to get 1.3 out, then sweep through the 1.4 STR's and look
> to see what can be merged - so RFE's with complete patches will likely
> be looked on favourably...
>
> Whether there is ever a "true" 1.4 is another question - depends on how
> well Matt's fltk-123 scheme works!

1.3.0 will go final Sunday unless there is a major show-stopper. There will be
two last patches for the final version regarding the FL_EXPORT macro and a flag
in the native file chooser that was not set correctly.

All further versions in the 1.3 branch will then be binary compatible to 1.3.0.
Adding functions is no problem, but adding variables in a class is no longer
possible. Personally, I would limit 1.3.x releases for major bug fixes only.

As Ian said, we need to decide then if we want to continue with 1.4 or 3.0 (or
possibly both). What we already decided is, that we need a *much* shorter
release cycle with less new features, but well tested.

 Matthias