> But in UTF-16 all symbols have size two bytes. There is no problem to
> set specified size of string as opposed to UTF8 where every symbol can
> have own size (from 1 up to 5?) .

Not true I'm afraid - only glyphs from the BMP are sure to be two bytes
in UTF16.
Any glyph from a higher plane will be 4 bytes.
Check up on "surrogate pairs" to see what I mean.

> I see no way to use it. Shortly - I have to print column of text lines
> restricted by specified length. I use the Courier font.
> The lines can contain any symbols - latin, cyrillic etc. I can't
> evaluate needed size of line in bytes if I use UTF8. Only via
> conversion into any accessible format with monosized symbols.

I might need to see an example to help visualize what you are doing...
I'm not sure I'm understanding all the nuances of your problem.

> > Anyway, best post an STR, and maybe a simple example we can use for
> > testing.
>
> It's no problem, but... my latest STR (fl_draw_image_mono(...) has no
> body at all!) hang there without any interest

Oh we read them - we're just busy, so don't get much time to actually do
anything about them...

I still think that posting the STR with details, examples, etc., greatly
increases the chance that *something* might get done!