If you cut some HTML I expect HTML to be pasted.

Code that removes the markup just breaks things like pasting into an
HTML compose box on a web page.

The user can delete the HTML if they don't want it.

Excessive worrying about data types is why cut & paste is not working
right. The text is UTF8, and '<' is a legal character in UTF8 so it
should be preserved. If you want a complex object, put it in a file and
send the URL as UTF8.