I believe the split of libraries in fltk can be removed. This was
initially done so that the libraries can be shared while avoiding the
problem that shared libraries don't work (at least on Linux, and I think
on Windows too) unless *all* symbols in them can be resolved, whether or
not they are ever called.

This was done for OpenGL, and for the jpeg and png libraries. As far as
I know OpenGL exists on all platforms of interest today, and jpeg/png
have been fixed by including the source for these libraries in fltk.

It would seem that building everything into one library will be a lot
easier.

If a .a file is made, the linker still only picks out the pieces that
are used, so this will not change the size of statically-linked programs.