> It appears on Linux that compiling 3.0 will link the "local" copies of
> these libraries, no matter how much I try to stop it with config switches.

I think this is just a WIP issue - linking against the system libs (or the
shared libs) works fine on 1.3.x and others so presumably will in fltk3 once we
get around to it...

> This is VERY bad because this code is vastly out of date and bloated,
> and skips processor optimizations that the main ones have in them.
> Basically on Linux and BSD, these should NEVER be used.

Um, I don't understand. What's out of date? My fltk3 checkout seems to have
pretty current versions of jpeg (8c) and png(1.5.4) and so on in it.
Or am I missing the point?

> I recommend the following fixes:
>
> 1. Make it impossible to compile and/or use these libraries through the
> gmake system. They are only used by IDE's for systems that don't have
> them.

Not quite true. I often use the "built-in" image libs with make/gmake builds on
WinXX/mingw deploys, and I imagine that I'm not the only one.
Yes, I could (probably should) just install jpeg/png/zlib/etc in the mingw
environment, but using the fltk built-ins is much easier...

> 2. When they are built, merge them with the images library. This will
> avoid the need for the "fltk3" prefix on their names.

Fair enough.

> 3. (the hard one) The systems that lack these libraries have their own
> methods to read .jpeg and .png files. FLTK should just call these
> methods directly, rather than (in effect) emulating Linux.

Hmm, not keen.
The jpeg/png libs aren't that big so I'm not sure how much we'd save, for the
extra complexity if supporting a different image API. Though maybe it is
trivial?
What systems does that apply to? Is it Microsoft?
All the systems I see on a regular basis just use libjpeg and libpng for this
anyway, but I'm not all that familiar with the MS API's for image handling.

SELEX Galileo Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132