On 19.02.2012, at 00:35, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> I like "fl" as well.
>
> Using "Fl" could be a good trick to replace the fltk1 "Fl" object which
> only has static methods. But it is now pretty standard to use lowercase
> for namespaces, and besides it is doubtful it could be 100% compatible.
>
> I do think worrying about fltk2 compatibility is a mistake. It is
> obvious that fltk1 compatiblity is wanted instead.

>>> I fully agree that the name fltk3 would be awkward if FLTK 4.x
>>> ever exists. The difficulty is that fltk is used by FLTK 2.0
>>> with which FLTK 3.0 aims to be compatible.
>>> Do you suggest Fltk as opposed to fltk ? That would be error-prone.
>>> What about fl or FL ?
>>
>> I think fl will be fine.
>> Let the others tune in also.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Mike.

IMHO, using fltk:: will lead to much confusion on the mailing list. Also,
looking at how different 1, 2, and 3 are, I assume that FLTK 4 will again be
quite different one day. And an app written for FLTK3 will not "just run" using
FLTK4 (just as 1 is nto 2 ist not 3). Using the fltk3:: as a namespace will
avoid attempts to compile fltk3 apps with fltk2 or fltk4.

Should an app really need porting from fltk3 to fltk4, a simple
search-and-replace should give a good start. #ifdef's are the wrong way!

But as usual, I am of course open for discussing this.