Nice job for digging up this technique :) Not used today as was used
before...

 > However; I'm not actually sure this will work - it may be the case
 >that if we "new" the array with the "placement new" operation, then
 >maybe just calling "delete" will not work? I do not know.

Doing placement new on array is not considered portable, mostly due
unknown offset; even worse, in Standard is mentioned how each new
invocation of placement new for array can return different offset, which
could be dictated by platform.

True, delete will not work as you have to manually call destructor (or
destructors) and free() after that.