AFAIK kdialog is often distributed with KDE, which isn't the case
for zenity/Gnome.

> In any case: We still need to address the issue of "guessing" what
> desktop the user is running and then choosing either zenity or
> kdialog accordingly...

There is a env variable XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and should indicate the
name of running desktop; however, the variable was added silently
(which is unfortunate) by Canonical, RedHat, who knows, and there is no
definitive spec about it on freedesktop.org.

You can check how it is used (with a couple of hacks for other
desktops) at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/tree/scripts/xdg-utils-common.in
(search for 'detectDE').

Also to not forget 'xdg-file-dialog' intended to be portable among
desktops and if another desktop adds a tool like kdialog, it will
probably end up there.