> Hmm, you have turned off XFT in your build, then? You get much nicer
> looking text display if you leave XFT enabled in 1.3...
>
> > find_best_font() keeps a static pointer to the list of font=20
> > names provided by libx11. find_best_font() frees and then=20
> > re-queries that list from libx11 every time find_best_font()=20
> > is run. At program termination, that list cannot be freed.
>
> Why is that a Bad Thing?
> The system will auto-release allocated memory on application exit (and
> probably more efficiently than we could do it manually), and IIRC
> XListFonts() doesn't hold onto any other resources, so there's nothing
> to leak here.
>
> What am I missing? Is there something specific about this I'm not
> seeing?
> As it stands, I think the existing code is good. Certainly better than a
> fixed size array, I'd hazard..
>
> Opinions?
>
> Also, again, with a unified diff, please?
>

> SELEX Galileo Ltd
> Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS=
> 14 3EL
> A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132

Yep, I go to/from the XFT. Sometimes the hard lines are refreshing to look at,
but XFT is much better for production.

Re the would-be-patch, thanks for the details. I am agreed that there is not a
lot of justification to make a fix.

In retrospect, I am not always clear on when it's safe to let allocations free
themselves. Something for me to read up on.

I have stumbled onto these as I am beginning to separate my [long] list of
[malignant] problems from the harmless library things. So far so good - getting
things done.

Cheers from Melbourne -

Denton