Jim, our latest postings overlapped obviously...

On 28.10.2011 01:03, Jim Jozwiak wrote:

> My application takes a huge relational food composition database and
> tries to make the relationships between food, nutrients, and meals
> comprehensible. To do that, I need to present widgets that represent
> something and yet change the wizards that contain these widgets as
> necessary to show other facets of the food tables. Fl_Group would work
> if the screens in the wizards all had the same constituent widgets, but
> they don't, so I need packs to keep the widgets that are common to two
> different screens in the same place so they look like the same widget to
> the user.

I don't understand the difference. Fl_Group and Fl_Pack are both group
widgets, with only one difference: Fl_Pack arranges its children so that
they are aligned to each other (horizontally or vertically). This is
nothing you couldn't do with Fl_Group and some calculations. Or what
am I missing? You can even replace two widgets at the same position
by using hide() and show() for two widgets, respectively. This might
be a little tricky, if the window has already been resized, but
anyway... this ought to work.

> In most nutrition programs, there are endless tables and popup
> windows that truly make it challenging to understand what you are
> looking at. But none of these issues are addressed by the example I
> presented. If you are curious, the whole application is at
> http://nut.sourceforge.net , and the application currently does not
> resize at all, because I couldn't get it to work.

Okay, I understand.

> Also, the actual resizing is perfect. I am not questioning the way fltk
> resizes anything.
>
> All I am noting is that when I nest two horizontal packs in a vertical
> pack and mark all three packs as well as the main window resizable, the
> widgets in the second horizontal pack stop working although they do
> resize correctly.

See also my other posting.

> The first issue I would like to explore is does this happen on other
> platforms, or is it unique to my platform;

It is definitely not platform specific. I have a basic understanding of
what happens internally, but I need to investigate more. And I did my
tests on Windows, BTW.

> and if it happens everywhere,
> is it my coding error or a bug in fltk;

Formally it is not your coding error, since the docs don't say that what
you do is not allowed. But maybe it is a yet undocumented restriction in
FLTK, and we could probably have to document this. Or maybe we could
also consider it a bug - I don't know yet.

> and if it is a bug in fltk, can it be fixed,

I don't know yet.

> or should I shrug off my users who want my application to
> resize?

No, definitely not. I believe that what you want can be achieved, but
I don't know if Fl_Pack is the right tool.

Albrecht