On 2 Jan 2012, at 19:43, N. Cassetta wrote:

> I'm still using ver 1.1.10 but, reading 1.3.0 docs, seems that nothing is
> changed about colors.
> For example, when drawing a selection box in a Fl_Overlay_Window, it would be
> nicer to fill it with a semi-transparent color: is there a method to get this
> in some FLTK version?

Is it specifically Fl_Overlay_window you are interested in?

In that case, I don't think we can make that support alpha blended colours -
the basis for the overlay window stuff was to support the overlay plane on
those systems that have one (and to emulate it with an offscreen overlay on
systems that do not.)

So, the overlay is limited to the capabilities of the early overlay hardware
systems...
Which is going to preclude transparency and alpha-blending somewhat!

I guess that for modern systems those constraints may not be all that relevant,
of course.

For what it's worth, I think I'd probably do something with compositing the
widgets and the "overlay" in an fl_offscreen surface and then blit that onto
the screen. That's all eminently do-able with fltk-1.1.10 of course, so should
be practical for your current configuration. Though probably needs a bit of
work to get it leveraged into your codebase though!

Other than that, i.e. for non-overlay windows, there is more support for alpha
channels and so forth, so that may be of some use to you?

--
Ian