> The main difference is the gradient effect on the buttons and menus. It >
> looks really better than the flat gtk+ scheme.
>
> Maybe these screenshots can show this:=20
> http://code.google.com/p/nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos/wiki/FlWriter

Actually, the thing I notice the most that makes it look better
is the more subtle line around the buttons. In gtk+ there's a high
contrast dark outline around all the buttons, whereas the grad1 scheme
has a subtle, low contrast outline.

Seems like the thing that makes interfaces look ugly (vis a vis win95)
is high contrast elements in widgets.

I think the gradient effect is nice, but very subtle compared to
the outline.

BTW, not sure: on my mac display, the 'color banding' in the pulldown
menu's gradient is really noticeable. Was wondering if that's due
to the PNG conversion, or more likely, due to FLTK's limited 24 value
grayscale ramp?

Perhaps the grads can be drawn with RGB colors instead, so that even
if colormap values are passed as the start/end, this could be converted
to RGB, so that the actual drawing is done in RGB.