Hi, FLTK users,

I'm looking for a keyboard extension or a special function keyboard
that can be used to type special keys normally not found on a standard
computer keyboard, or maybe a keyboard extension that can be used
with FLTK. I'd appreciate if someone who has experience with such
a keyboard could share her/his experiences ...

The task is to create an application or widget that can be used to count
something (maybe more than 20-30 different items) by typing
one-handed and blindly (i.e. w/o moving one's eyes off a microscope).
This special keypad should be easily moveable to the microscope near
the PC.

Normal keyboards could probably be used, but the numeric keypad
doesn't have enough keys, and other keys couldn't be reached and typed
blindly easily. I imagine something like those keyboards you can find
in shops where each product has its own key, maybe with a USB or radio
(bluetooth, WiFi?) connection, or whatever.

It would be ideal, if this additional keyboard could be integrated
with FLTK in an easy way w/o driver programming, but the latter would
be possible as well (if not too complex).

A simple keyboard layout could be twice the numeric keypad side-by-side
or similar. It would be optimal if the key labels could be changed, or
if there was a programmable (LCD?) display near each key, but that's
all not that important.

There used to be special devices that did the task and transmitted
end results (counted values) to a computer, but these devices are
hard to get today and they are very specialized...

I've seen a commercial keypad with 20 keys (5 rows with 4 keys), but
this is maybe not enough keys, and it's sold by a manufacturer with
their own software (which should be avoided).

Does anybody have ideas how to solve this problem or experiences
with such input devices? All facts and links welcome...

Thanks in advance

Albrecht