Basically intro, the Fluent Interface lets a lot of people still want total
control of there mappings through code rather than xml. Personally I want to
rid that pain from my life, so I wrote the automappings to sit ontop of the
current Fluent Interface.
The Convention GetPrimaryKeyName Chris correctly pointed out as being
unintuitive from an Auto mapping perspective, is very intuitive from a
manual mapping perspective. In my opinion since AutoMapper is piggy backing
on-top of the manual mapper is should attempt not to do anything to degrade
the experience of the manual mappings.

Basically that convention in the manual mapping is used to decide what the
name of the column should be.

For example

class Customer
{
     public int PersonId {get; set;}
}

Hope that helps explain the situation.

Andy

I think I'll call for Andrew to explain as he understands the automapping