I use the latest FNH and it still doesn't work. I have to explicitely
set LazyLoad on the classmap to get this behavior.
I understand the difference between the 2 lazyload methods but I don't
understand when you say:

> however, the class gets precedence, so if your class isn't set
> to lazy load (which was the default) then the references call won't have any
> effect.

Logically, if the entity is not forced to LazLoad then calling it or
not on the association WOULD MAKE a difference.
If you force it on the classmap then calling LazyLoad on the
association would not change anything. If a NotLazyLoaded was possible
on the association, then this one would make a difference. No?

About trying with hbm, unfortunately, I tried to learn FNH before HBM
so this is not something I can immediately try.

N.