I'm not sure if I was clear enough. I'm doing something like this:

var mappings = AutoPersistenceModel
.MapEntitiesFromAssemblyOf<Product>()
.Where(GetEntityFilter)
.WithConvention(GetConventions);

var sessionFactory = new Configuration()
  .AddProperty(ConnectionString, ApplicationConnectionString)
  .AddAutoMappings(mappings)
  .BuildSessionFactory();

AddAutoMappings is just an extension method which effectively calls
mappings.Configure(cfg). This is the point where an exception is
raises if the mappings are bad.

My problem (and it may be completely user error) is that when the
AutoPersistenceModel builds mappings that NHib's Configuration object
doesn't like, I cannot actually look at the XML mappings to see if I
can spot what the error might be.

I tried calling mappings.WriteMappingsTo(), but that only seems to
write out ones that I have used ForTypesThatDeriveFrom<T> on. Ones
that were completely automapped by convention don't seem to be written
out until after I call Configure. From what I can tell, this is
because they're not put into the collection that WriteMappingsTo
iterates over until after AutoPersistenceModel.Configure(cfg) is
called. The catch 22 here is that this prevents me from looking at
them during one of the only times I want to do so.

Am I doing this wrong? Missing something obvious? Is there another way
to inspect the mappings?