I'm still relatively new to FNH, and NH in general, so I may be asking
a stupid question, but I've been googling for two days and can't make
it work.

I am trying to make caching work in FNH, I dug around and found this
post..
http://nhforge.org/blogs/nhibernate/archive/2009/02/09/quickly-setting-up-and-using-nhibernate-s-second-level-cache.aspx
which led me to a link for the Caching .dlls for Nhibernate. However
when I try to use them, it tells me that my version of NHibernate is
out of date.

Now, if I update to the correct version of NHibernate (3.1+ I
believe), then FNH ceases to work. If I keep the version of NHibernate
that works with FNH, I can't use these caching systems? Can someone
shed some light on this for me? The documentation on the caching
system is proving difficult for me to interpret and find.

I downloaded Fluent nHibernate through NuGet, so I presumed
immediately that this was the problem, but in a sandbox application
using the binaries straight from the FNH website I yielded the same
results.