All:

Just a quick note of caution on this subject.

Sequence editors give you control of the pan (left/right) position of
each MIDI track.  Usually it is used to initially position the
instruments of the ensemble, but I have (as a matter of novelty) moved
an instrument from one side to the other while it is playing (as if the
player is walking away).

I have also used it to have one track totally one instrument, and the
other track totally the other instrument (though that doesn't sound very
good in earphones).

I would be dismayed to find that Fluidsynth/Qsynth had taken the pan
capability over to itself, and no longer allowed the sequence editor to
control it.

That being said, I know there are voices (such as on my Yamaha S90-es)
that use the pan (stereo harp, for example).

- Aere

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 07:58 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 06/18/2012 12:19 AM, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm wondering about the usage of fluidsynth to pan stereo sounds.
> >
> > The way I integrate sounds samples in fluidXtra (pluging for Adobe
> > Director) without using sfonts is by creating a ramsfont preset which
> > contains the sample. That was actually the first reason to introduce the
> > ramsfont in fluidsynth.
> >
> > I have a problem for panning stero sounds using this method. WHat I do
> > for stereo sounds is creating a ramsfont preset with two samples
> > attached to the preset, one fully pre-panned to the left and the other
> > one fully pre-panned to the right, using generators :
> >
> > fluid_ramsfont_izone_set_gen(ramsf, bank, presetNum, sampleL, GEN_PAN,
> > -500.);
> > fluid_ramsfont_izone_set_gen(ramsf, bank, presetNum, sampleR, GEN_PAN,
> > 500.);
> >
> > This is fine until I try to dynamically pan the preset. If I fully pan
> > it to the left for exemple, it adds -500 to the pre-pan on both samples,
> > and the left sample gets panned to -1000, which gets maxed to -500, and
> > the right sample gets panned to 0. This gives a preset that sounds 50%
> > panned to the left, and not 100% to the left as one would expect.
> >
> > I'm not sure, first of the right behavior for panning on stereo sounds,
> > and second on the best way to do it either using fluidsynth API as it
> > is, if possible, and if not how to modify fluidsynth to do the right
> > thing, using for example, the FLUID_SAMPLETYPE_RIGHT and
> > FLUID_SAMPLETYPE_LEFT values for the sampletype member of the
> > _fluid_sample_t struct, which are not used anywhere in fluidsynth actually.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> > Thanks
>
> Hmm, interesting problem.
>
> With the disclaimer that I have not gone to the SF2 spec to research
> this, what is actually the desired behaviour here, is it
>
> 1) Have a mix of the left and right samples both sounding in the left
> channel, or
>
> 2) Have only the left sample sounding in the left channel (the right
> panned sample being silent/unhearable)?
>
> // David

Sincerely,
Aere