On 08/03/2014 01:27 PM, Nikhil Nair wrote:
I thought I'd now cracked it - until I found that, while this works with
fluid-soundfont-gm, all the names are blanbk when I do the same with
fluid-soundfont-gs.  Do I take it that names are simply missing from that
file?  Presumably I can't just assume that the same names apply to teh
corresponding program number in both...
Nikhil:

Here (attached) are the instrument definitions VMPK extracts from FluidR3_GM.sf2 (installed from the fluid-soundfont-gm package). It's a text file (you can look at it with a text-editor).

--
Sincerely,
Aere

; Name: Fluid R3 GM
; Version: 2.1
; Copyright: Frank Wen 2000-2002, 2008; Toby Smithe 2008

.Patch Names

[Bank0]
0=Yamaha Grand Piano
1=Bright Yamaha Grand