On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Garth Hjelte <ga...@chickensys.com> wrote:

>  At 10:36 PM 1/30/2015, you wrote:
>
> Going by SF2 is going to be hard for developer to implement new soundfont,
> Native Instrument has supported Wav and Flac files and there are plenty
> audio loops (http://www.producerloops.com) on the web.
> FluidSynth should consider implement support for these improvement.
>

> Why? There are plenty of tools to build SoundFonts, even from FLAC.
> Consider mine: www.chickensys.com/translator or
> www.chickensys.com/constructor
>
> FluidSynth is a player and should stay that way.

My 0.02:
For fluidsynth to sustain relevancy, I don't think it would be smart to
reject patches that would support other formats than soundfonts. WAV and
FLACS are not strictly necessary, since the soundfont format covers all
features of these two (except the number of bits). However, supporting
other formats would probably (although I don't know the internals that
much, I just assume here), require some refactorization of the code to make
it simpler to support other formats than soundfonts. And since both WAV and
FLACS are simple formats, it would probably make sense to accept patches
also for these types of files.