> Thanks for the explanation! It seems seems like polyphonic aftertouch
> is a more advanced feature than I though, and you know a lot more
> about this than me. I thought polyphonic aftertouch was just a way to
> change the individual volume of single notes after they have started
> playing.

It can be configured that way, but by default it does nothing is most
soundfonts.

> It would be very nice to have a simple option for setting the volume of
> individual
> notes after they start playing though. But perhaps that would require a
> different
> type of extension to fluidsynth?

If you edit the soundfont and configure a Key Pressure -> Initial
Attenuation modulator for every included preset, then that will work with
my patch.

If you want this kind of behavior on every possible soundfont by default,
then you are basically asking for an additional (non-standard) default Key
Pressure -> Initial Attenuation modulator. That would require the addition
of this modulator to the list of default modulators in FluidSynth. It would
be very easy to add a command-line switch or API configuration option to
implement this, but I'm not sure if this kind of non-standard behaviour is
acceptable or not.

Cheers,

    Marcus