Hi Justin,

Thanks for kicking things off! I’d first like to make sure, in addition to the
two projects you listed, that we include Sachin’s main project for GSoC 2020,
which was to convert the Fluid Project site from DocPad to 11ty, and similarly
to convert the FLOE Project site (which previously had no SSG or CMS) to use
11ty as well. These two sites were the basis of his work on the fluidic-11ty
starter kit.

Links to those two repos:

  *   https://github.com/fluid-project/fluidproject.org
  *   https://github.com/fluid-project/floeproject.org

Here’s my take on your questions:

  *   Regarding GSoC 2020 (and past iterations if you like)
     *   What did we do well?
        *   I think we did a good job of scoping work that could be completed
within the timeframe
        *   For my project, it was helpful to agree on who the primary mentor
was in order to divide up responsibilities
     *   What can we do better?
        *   I think we could probably better organize ourselves for the influx
of applicants in February/March. Our GSoC 2020
page<https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Google+Summer+of+Code+2020+with+the+Fluid+Project>,
 while we did reorganize it, may have contributed to some of the friction we
ran into while welcoming & guiding the 120 or so newcomers we had this year.
The formatting of the page seems like something that we could improve upon, and
we could consider preparing a dedicated GSoC site in order to present this
information less densely, i.e. a 1- or 2-page site with no menus. Ideally, a
successful student should read through all of it diligently, but for each
student who does that we’ll get a dozen who don’t and will be asking questions
in the channel anyway. I realize that this is somewhat akin to a job interview
where the most successful will read carefully and make themselves known, and
while I would prefer not to have to repeat information which has already been
presented to them, there may be students who would be excellent additions to
our community, even if their first step is not their strongest. To that end, I
feel that if we put a bit of effort into making a minimal welcome site (a day
or two max), it may save us more time later on.
        *   The project started out very strongly, though progress slowed down
significantly near the end of the coding period. More regular communication at
the outset of the project and throughout may help us avoid some of the things
that slowed work down this year. Time difference was likely an aggravating
factor in this challenge, though dealing with the onset of COVID-19 and related
stresses probably didn’t help either.
     *   What are ways we can improve?
        *   A great suggestion I heard during the Mentor Summit this year was
to have an onboarding session at the beginning of the community bonding period
(just before coding begins) with all of the mentors, students and org admins
present. The session would help the students understand our goals and how their
work fits into that bigger picture. This is easier said than done with our
geographically-distributed team, of course, but I feel it’s worth doing as it
could help the students feel more motivated about the work they’re taken on.
  *   Regarding GSoC 2021
     *   What are your thoughts on the changes?
        *   I feel the reduced workload over a similar amount of time is a
positive change. That, coupled with the loosening of eligibility requirements
mean that we may get a very different cohort of applicants if we decide to do
GSoC 2021, e.g. students who haven’t applied in the past due to visa
restrictions on the number of hours they’re allowed to work may apply in
greater numbers.
        *   Along with the reduced time commitment, the reduced stipends may
affect the number of orgs and students who apply in 2021, and I’m curious to
see how it plays out and what effect it has on application volumes for the orgs
that do participate.
        *   Reducing the evaluations from 3 to 2 will be helpful. For
reference, the timing of these evaluations is one at 5 weeks in and another at
the end.
        *   The flexibility of the timing may be helpful if mentors or students
need to take a vacation or other break from the work, rather than the program
forging ahead non-stop for three months and work getting gummed up if someone
has an absence.
     *   Does GSoC meet our needs and goals, and are we using it in a way that
aligns with their goals?
        *   This depends greatly on the projects we propose, and what we feel
our needs an goals are. What are our goals with GSoC?
        *   GSoC 2020 helped us take care of some work that was overdue,
created a novel way to navigate the web, and we have at least one of our
students sticking around so far!
        *   Google’s main goal, according to Stephanie Taylor (who organizes
the program), is to increase the size and diversity of participating orgs’
communities. The more we (orgs in general) can report back to them about
students remaining in the community post-GSoC, the better it is for the program
as a whole (in Stephanie’s words, “retention is the primary goal”).
Looking forward to others’ thoughts!

Cheers,
Gregor