Communication can be a dangerous thing, if it breaks down barriers and
allows people who have previously been denied a voice to speak and
articulate a vision.

That seems to have been the revolutionary aspect of the internet so far
(e.g., amongst the "civil society" protesters in Seattle). It has been
seized upon by those who previously didn't have access to the media and
allows for the creation of new public forums and spaces that are not
controlled by the existing authorities (in whatever field of power).

Its all a matter of making connections or networks--and technology is
helping people do that.