> Satie's work had no special influence on the concept for which I coined
the
> term "musicality." The concept of musicality involves applying the idea
of
> a notational form to art that can then be rendered by any artist as the
> performer or realizer of the work. That is the essence of music notation.
> It isn't peculiar to Satie. All composers from Monteverdi and Mozart to
> Bach and Berlioz used notation.

But I think Sol was referring to the experiments with notation that Satie
did--his notation is often not conventional, and includes "scripts" that go
beyond notes and time, scripts that can be interpreted broadly. This may
well address your notion of an expanded idea of musicality, and the
relation between notation and script.

> Acknolwedgement
>
> Many influences do percolate. The distinction is that in the old era of
> anonymous craft and artisan-based creation, visual products were a
> transmission of well understood and widely common ideas. In the modern
era,
> the era of signed work and originality, one is somehow obliged to
> acknolwedge one's sources as best possible. It's odd to borrow on the
wide,
> common culture while claiming the status of an originator and signatory.
>
> The fact that one can never acknowledge all sources doesn't excuse the
> failure to acknowlede those sources of which one is aware.
>
> Artists don't merely borrow on advertisements and ideas gleaned from the
> unsigned street. They read art magazines, art history books, visit
> galleries and museums. Prior artists found in these places are sources of
> influence who are known to the artists who draw on them, or at least they
> should be known.

But it is also true that in this area of the ubiquitous image, the scenario
Sol draws is very much the norm--at least artists I know generally read
less than they see, and generally see less of museums than of the
incessantly active and rich field of images streaming out of the media.
Acknowledgement is certainly a responsibility, but instances of clear
influence may well be scarce.

AK