I grew up in a state that had (has?) the highest literacy rate of any state
in the United States, Iowa.  We had a joke about the state of Missouri
(located directly south of Iowa):  if you cut off the bottom row of
counties in Iowa and gave them to Missouri, it would raise the IQ of both
states 10 points.

I have yet to meet anyone from Missouri who gets this joke.