I see (?) hear you, Terrence and certainly agree with your last line.  My comment
about the
Armory Show is ingrained - it sticks with me as a highlight of the art history
education
part of my life.  When I saw a wall of works from the exhibit  at the Norton Simon
Museum in
Pasadena, it hit me like a blow in the chest and I stood there and cried.   It was an
example
of solidarity of artists outside the mainstream coming together and sticking out their
tongues at what was acceptable at the time.  That's why I brought it up.

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~slatin/20c_poetry/projects/relatproject/arensbergarmory.html

Here's a really great link if anyone cares to give it the time it deserves - it's
really well
done...

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~jestaris/armory/main.html

Best,