at the excellent web site of boek861 from Spain, you will find a
series
of  thought provoking  debates on what is mail art--

        (John Held. Jr is one of those contributing, as is the great
Clemente Padin)

        http://www.fut.es/~boek861

        I highly recommend this site

        you will also find galleries and documentations of events and
projects, visual  poetry and much other information of events,
activities and theoretical/methodological  questions concerning mail art
and visual poetry
as well as listings of zines, mail art calls and links

        onwo/ards!

--dave baptiste chirot