Champoy wrote:

>YES i was referring to nationalism as a kind of
regionalism,which is more about regional culture and
history than politics....so does art necessarily have
to reflect that?<

Art of course doesn't have to reflect anything. However, I think regional
culture will have less and less to do with art in the upcoming years; the
New World Order and all. One of the negative aspects of global communication
is that we are then influenced by the exact same ideas/products. I know
someone who just returned from Russia and I asked him what kind of music he
heard (live) over there. Rock, jazz and techno. Great. What about Russian
music? I am sure various amounts of Russian "character" or "identity" was
brought into those American forms of music, but...

Now, I am not trying to argue that there should be any restrictions by
anybody on anybody on artistic creation, but I think it is sad that aspects
of regional culture are seemingly not being passed on to future generations.
I would be interested to read more about how artists feel living in France
or Turkey? where there are restrictions on, let's say, American or foreign
works that can be broadcast on TV/radio.

Recently, I attended an electro-acoustic concert at the University of Texas,
of 10 or so pieces presented by student composers. I did not like much of
it, or any of it in fact. Most of the music, and music as a genre that has
seemingly limitless possibilities, sounded very much the same, using the
same synthesizers and drum machines and reverb boxes. But what was worst
about the evening was a particular piece very similar to the bland
synthesizers of the others; but this piece also featured recordings of a
Native American ritual. I was appalled and disgusted at how tiny snippets of
Native American chanting were used to "spice" up an otherwise bland work.
There was no link between the recording and the music, and there wasn't
enough of the recording to set up a mood: the recordings were buried under
layers of synth washes. In the program notes, no mention was made of what or
when the recording was made, nor what tribe made it, nor what it signified.
It was awful. From the composers name, and also lack of any biographical
information, I assume the composer was not Native American himself. I don't
think my opinion of the piece would change at all if he was. Is this what
"cultural identity" has come to in America 2000: seasoning for an otherwise
tasteless dish?

Personally, I feel sad that I have lost, perhaps forever, the connections to
the rich cultural heritage of my Jewish ancestors. Now when I approach
Jewish art or ritual, I do so as an outsider. I don't even possess the
language skills to fully engage it.

In conclusion to my rambles: is regional culture valuable? If so, how best
to preserve it or pass it on?

-Josh Ronsen
http://www.nd.org/jronsen