i would fully agree that an activity is not always fully or purely based on chance
operations.
the artist or person always has to set up parameters for the activity and then
determine those parameters
by chance operations.

there is even a choice of which chance operations to use. (dice, i ching, random
number generators, etc.)

there are always choices to be made. it all depends on what step in the process you
make them.

the reason that i am going to try this chance photography thing is for the discipline
of having to take a
picture at a given time every day for a month no matter where i am and the time that
has been determined
by chance.
i think it might make for some interesting, atypical photos. it will make me take
photos that i wouldnt
normally take.
and for me, thats what chance operations allow. they allow you to do something you
wouldnt normally do or
think of. it gets you out of the restrictions of your own mind on a certain level.

anyways, enough said.
greg davis