Josh wrote:

>Count me in. But the copyright of any work I participate in must be
registered in my name, and I must be attributed as sole, soverign author of
any work. I will send you (and anyone else involved) a form to sign stating
your compliance with these (and a few other) legalities.

Oops, I thought I was LaMonte Young there for a moment. Excuse me. I'm back
to normal now.<

hehe,

recently I've been reading Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain's book "Please
Kill me"...it's an oral history of punk...anyhow..there's a little bit on
LaMonte Young in there, he being New York and pals with John Cale etc. Now I
never realised that LaMonte was such a head...all the things I've read on
him in a music history context are very serious and examine his musical
influences etc however it seems to me that the Young's Ultra minimalism is
more rooted in drugs than musicology. In "Please Kill Me" there're a couple
of people remembering that LaMonte used to sell hash, acid, opium etc. from
his apartment where he also kept up his long droning music sessions inviting
those who came round to score to play drones along with him. I must say
reading this kind of burst the music bubble for me with Young's
work...clearly his minimalism is just the result of being too stoned to
remember to play the other notes in the piece. And thus for a guy who was
obviously pretty chilled out at one time what's with all this copyright
stuff?...although maybe he's just getting paranoid ;-)

BTW I can recommend "Please Kill Me" as a pretty interesting read....it's a
bit too centred on the US considering the role of English Punk (in fact
English punk gets pretty heavily criticised in the book) but it's pretty
interesting for those who liked/still like punk.

cheers,

Sol.