dear AK:

                as a PYM fan-=-you will also like very much Eric Basso's
startling and "story-that-once-read-never-stops-haunting-you" THE BEAK
DOCTOR which included in a collection of that name:

        THE BEAK DOCTOR  Short Fiction 1972-76

        (Paradise: Asylum Arts, 1999)

        it's a masterpiece--

        Eric Basso is from Baltimore--and PYM  was inspired by Poe's
listening, while living in Baltimore and sharing an attic room with his
sailor brother, to the latter'
s tales told in delirium while dying from consumption,slowly and before
Poe's eyes, as later his wife was also to do and also from consumption

        actually-- i never thought of thia before--the cannibalism in
PYM--another one of Poe's cruel pribate little punning jokes as:
"comsumption" devoured the bodies of his brother and wife--

        but that wasn't why i first grabbed those two books to make
something to go with rhythm i felt in my head--

        both books right by each other on little old fruite crate
shelf--and both bound in black with white images on them--

        then realized--both from Baltimore!

        pages chosen at random--just the first one in each book opened
to--

        a mixture of chance and choice:  as going through words and
selecting
them in their arrangements--they do have call and response--and as one
finds the way--a direction--

        sent it to a friend later the day made it--and now learn will be a
chapbook or in a magazine in australia!

        wonders of the world wide web , email etc--

        one "loses oneself" in the voices--and they reappear in print on
other side of world--

        meaning words do indeed have life of their own . . .

        --dbc