Terrence writes;

Aaron Kimberly wrote:

> Terence, This was an interesting post. Thanks.
>
> Do you think artists should keep an audience in mind when making work? Or do
> you think art can be made without regard to others, and then finds its
> market later? Maybe its not an either or.

Trying to respond to that inner voice or a strong inclination to speak out to
the world. I wonder if what a world is may be the world that the sum total
experiences that leads one to strike a balance. The means is more the techne
and is perhaps the fun part once there is mastery.

 Tu et em.

> I've said this before, but as someone who's fresh out of art school, I can
> tell you that we spent a great deal of time studying "visual culture" (not
> even art history anymore) including post-modern theory, modern theory,
> Marxist theory.... and the studios were emptying. I think a lot of artists
> (my age at least) are responding to this with a kind of concretism or
> aesthetic Puritanism - almost a swing back to modernism, but less confident
> or Absolute.. I think that's what my posted Manifestos (I haven't heard any
> remarks about the Ludic Stratagem Post) were motivated by. It's not (always)
> an attitude of apathy, just a reaction to being overwhelmed, paralysed by
> theory and an insistence that art is something other than literary
> criticism. If I felt that I could write or say something clearly enough,
> then I'd just say it, not make art about it.
>
> Do you think this idea corresponds with the
> "This is so as the essential
> > techno-nomadic criticism aims for the rhizomatic emotional movement - that
> > of replacing social criticism with social aesthetics."
> as said below? Every aesthetic operates socially in some capacity as long as
> it's seen.
>
> What I tend to see though, is politically motivated art that illustrates a
> theory or politic in an instructive way.
> Many others agree though, that red beside orange can also be socially
> invested. Unfortunately, that's an idea being lost in art ed. today as I
> have experienced it. So I'm struggling to understand it and develop a
> concrete/abstract visual language of my own.

there are so many traditional genres out there.
if its amatter of means. its usually best to match the method to emotional bent
of the work

where it ends up and the interaction seems more important. it seems less about
career now and more about a social adventure. I mean i left art school 14 years
ago! I am giving work away. Aquaintences come back and mention how much money I
want for it. I go to a party and theres a painting i gave to someone else.
They're happy so am I.

> I've been listening to a lot of
> new music instead of looking art, trying to sensitize myself to the
> material, temporal and the concrete. I rely too much on representations and
> have difficulty reading art that I can't locate in the theory/history that I
> have learned.
>
> hmmm. there's no real solution to that.

Listening to music/ life and keeping a keen eye on world politics and seeing
constants in your imediate environment. Taking it in then coming up with
compressed metaphores that can speak to many. The work's connotative power
denotes strings of words, the multifarious interpretatons of the art object, in
any language. At that end it can be confusing and is less the bussiness of the
artist who must concentrate on the means.

Terrence