The Avant Garde! My favorite subject.
The International Post-Dogmatist Group is, of course, the Official Avant Garde (where
every individual is an official of the group http://ipdg.org/) and always has been and
always will be. The avant garde has, as its main concern, the reading of the inner
life - the spiritual life and with discovering and expressing that continuously
unfolding  unified field of super consciousness  of which we are all a part. The
things that precipitate from this unified field of super
consciousness such as  individualized thought, creative objects and activities,
inspiration, form, etc. that can be categorized as cultural production have an effect,
a kind of seeding ability, to alter the form and our perception of the unfolding of
this unified field both in this world and the world to come, but the field itself
remains unified and pure, forever the source of constant renewal. So, when things seem
to change, it is because a new generation feels a new
pulse, a new form emerging, a new storm rising, a new version of the unfolding logos
and when this impulse is stronger and more authentic than the impulse to maintain what
has come through already then this seems avant garde and the feeling of dissonance at
the time of emergence at first seems new and fresh and oppositional but in time is
recognized as just a new theme or phrase - as in music - because at first it is raw,
mysterious, undeveloped potentiality and full of
growing power  like a plant - which, when a frail sprout, has the power to make a way
through rock - but later, when in a state of flowering is at once dying and spilling
over of new seeds of future growth. Seen in a circular fashion there is a continual
birth, growth and death process happening.
I think where many go wrong - especially at this point -  is in thinking  that a
culture is singular moving in one direction toward some sort of utopian conclusion as
if one could ever be arrived at. And that the achievement by any individual somehow
confers wisdom and honor on the entire populous as if no one ever need explore he same
issues again.
And looking back, many go wrong thinking that those who are touted as the great
masters of the avant garde of the past by the museums loose sight of the fact that
these museums advance their own collection and are deeply invested in maintaining and
increasing its sense importance in the public eye and thus its value. In all such
cases we have to ask ourselves how much of that which is portrayed to us is, in fact,
true and accurate and how much is actually public relations
and wishful thinking.
cecil
http://touchon.com/cot/

--