Didn't Brad Brace already invent this?

>Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:54:21 -0400
>From: Florentin Smarandache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: A Manifesto and Anti-Manifesto for OUTER-ART

A  Manifesto  and  Anti-Manifesto  for  OUTER-ART
( http://www.gallup.unm.edu/~smarandache/Antimanifesto.htm )
Dr. Florentin Smarandache

The Outer-Art movement means to make art as ugly as possible, as wrong as
possible, or as bad as possible... and, generally speaking, as impossible
as possible!

These are the (outer-)limits of all artistic schools and styles!

Of course it is easy to create bad art, everybody can.  But to create the
worst possible art is paradoxically very difficult...  Because you may want
to consider a work as 'wrong art', while the  modern art experts would
interpret it as... extraordinary(!)  Therefore "outerart" is the result of
a nonartistic intention.  Hence, we paint (even) when we don't paint, we
sculpture (even) when we don't sculpture.

I classify as "art" something which is behind art, due to the fact that
what today is not considered "art", might be considered art tomorrow - as
the art history tells us.  And today's art might be rejected by tomorrow's
fashion.

         Also, what's bad for you, may be good for me, and
reciprocally.   This reflects the subjectivity in art.

Don't go with the crowd, don't go by the rules, but ignore them or go against;
although you need the necessary... craziness!  Also, don't rely on
petrified knowledge.  Going against is better (although harder) and more
original, than following it...

I am not upset if somebody denies my work, that is what I expect and
demand.  Better if people swear you than if they ignore you.

I dislike the arts (because I am a scientist), that's why I do arts!

The more you disregard the outer-art, the better.

I try to detest what anybody else loves, and reciprocally, I like what
nobody else likes:
art in opposite sense, self-insufficient art, incommunicable art, useless
art.

The Outer-Artist is an artist without knowing it.

         OuterArt is an unartistic work, which implies the unconscious
creation!
How I did it?  Browsing my everyday notes book, where I scribble and smear
my everyday's tasks, I observed that some pages look like... art
(paintings, drawings).

Why do I do this kind of outer-art?  Because I am not able to do another
kind of art!  I am not talented for something else...

Outerart is a movement for the people who have no talent in
arts!  [Paradoxically!]  Even more, for people with anti-talent!

A work that, after has been destroyed and thrown away, is being retrieved
from the waste basket.

This is not found art, but converted non-art into art.
[May we say found outer-art?]
The attitude counts.

For example, a page of mathematical thorny formulas may become a page of
(outer-)art, or a page of chemistry with organic equations, or a biology
drawing of the human cell, or a computer chart, or an engine design, etc.

Why not?  Let's introduce science into art.

- I do not substitute outer-art for art, but I want to reveal the first one
too - because 'de gustibus non disputandum'.  The beautiful is hard to
define.  A Romanian proverb says that it is not beautiful what is
beautiful, but it's beautiful what pleases me...
I want what I don't want, make what I don't make, and art what I don't art!
- If everybody could do it, why haven't anybody done and theorized it yet?
I see a fusion of art with outer-art and with all the cognitive (and
in-cognitive) fields.  There is no frontier among them...

However the real outer-art can be done by non-talented people (disqualified
artists, human failures) only! [Non-talented people signify less than
non-artists...]  No brush, no canvas, no easel.  Paint with your finger,
your legs, with leaves, grass, and excrements, or everything that is blamed.

Art as a therapy: when I feel sad, mad, bad, I draw and paint.  And I have
no skills for this!

Pain-ting in turmoil and in uproar.  I discharge my soul, and feel
free.  As I did in a political refugee camp in Turkey, and nobody carried
about my (outer-)art and miserable situation...  I don't pretend to be a
painter, that's why I dare to paint(!)
I am an outer-artist.

Outer-Art is not Fluxus (based on non-art, which asserts that everything is
art), neither Dada (which is against art), nor Found Art (which is based on
found beauty).  Outer-Art is outer-art!  Which is based on ugliness,
creation as detestable, awful, wicked, vile, abandoned, abominable,
vicious, disgusting, spurious, rotten, grim as possible...
If Duchamp's Brut Art was art made by insane but consciously, Outer-Art is
made by anti-talented people but uncounsciously.

Outer-Art is different from Yves Klein's nothingness ("le vide"); in
Outer-Art there exists something. Outer-Art is not happenings, nor action,
nor structuralism, nor minimalism, nor installation art.

All negative adjectives are cumulated in the outer-art:
- utterly awful and uninteresting art;
- disgusting, execrable, random art;
- outrageously execrable,  failure art;
- garbage paintings: from crumpled, dirty, smeared, torn, ragged paper;
- using anti-colors and a-colors;
- naturalist paintings: from wick, spit, urine, feces, any waste matter;
- art by non-educated people and for people who know nothing about art!
- without effort at all, dumb art;
- frustrating, disappointing art;
- disestablished and misjudged art;
- discredited, ignored, lousy, stinky, hooted, chaotic, vain, lazy,
inadequate art
(I had once misspelled "rat" instead of "art");
- creation in inverse style;
- pre-art; not non-art or anti-art, but a-painting, a-sculpture, a-photo,
generally "a-art";
- art which is not art, or outer art which is art!
- obvious, premature, insignificant art;
- in-deterministic, incoherent, ununderstandable, dull, uneven art...
as made by any monkey!

If this theory is not right, it's all right.  The trend is towards an
upside-down art.
These reflect the art's crisis...  It's actually the artistic movements' war!
It is alike attending a class of creative art or writing, where the
instructor tells you how to do, but you do the opposite.  Or study the
previous artists' styles and do not follow them - but contradict, or at
least avoid, their way.
These are for the state of the outer-art!
I hate arts, that's why I love 'em...

(the email continues on and on) see
http://www.gallup.unm.edu/~smarandache/Antimanifesto.htm for more and more