--- Tom Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> My knowledge is limited on these types of subjects,
> as it is on all
> subjects, but my impression was that a 'neo-'
> movement was simply an old
> movement being done again, eg. neo-classicism. I
> understood neo-classical
> music to be similar to classical music, but composed
> in the nineteenth and
> twentieth centuries, as opposed to the sixteenth and
> seventeenth. Does art
> use different rules than music for terminology? Mind
> you, I have a primarily
> music-educated background.

When it comes to movement terminology in the art
world, the only rule is that who ever comes up with a
name first, and then spreads the name farthest, gets
to call that movement whatever he or she wants.  Most
art movements of the past two hundred years were named
by either the orginal participants or vocal critics of
the day.  Anything goes, really.