Kathy, I didn't know this was going on. Thank you so much for posting this. Stuff like this gets me excited (I am, afterall, a social psychologist with a broadband lifestyle). I found one of the links in the article, http://www.cheesebikini.com/blog/, also worth exploring.

Allen's Meme Script

1. Get excited by an idea.
2a. Have strong urge to share idea (spread the excitement).
2b. Have strong urge to play with the idea...try it out myself...find new edges.
3. Have urge to brainstorm with others variations of idea...new ways to execute.
4. Email Fluxlist.
5. Idea builds momentum and sustains itself to some form of action OR not.

So...I was doing some solitary brainstorming (without coffee) and initially came up with following online variation on Flash Mobs that Fluxlist could execute: We (Fluxlist) pick some online chat room, message board and simultaneously descend on it to perform (and document, of course!) some rapidly executed, coordinated message. Anyone care to play around or develop this idea? Got any other ideas for Fluxlist Flash Mobs...on or off line [other than all of us flying to Venice tomorrow, mooning Alan Bowman when he walks out his door, and then immediately flying back]?

Allen

E-Mail Mobs Materialize All Over

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59518,00.html

By Leander Kahney

Inexplicable "flash mobs" are starting to form all over.

Begun in New York City, the gatherings are popping up in San Francisco, Minneapolis and suburban New York City, just north of the city. There also is talk of launching a similar group in London.

Flash mobs are performance art projects involving large groups of people. Mobilized by e-mail, a mob suddenly materializes in a public place, acts out according to some loose instructions, and then melts away as quickly as it formed.