Dear Friends:

the best way to define the word is to consult the dictionary as a starting point

certainly some aspects of kitsch can be what one might term the entropy of the sublime--or --its deteroraition--kitsch is usally a derogative tern--ceratinly associated with asp[ects of thesentimental that are borderingon the "distasteful"--yet do evoke passionate feelings in some--while repulsion in others-

there's aloo camp--but i don't think secret fluxus is either camp or kitsch--

this is why i wondered if the aspect of mimicry is not a camouflage, thus attaineing to secret-hood-

or if the ritual reenactment of a historical one-time-only event--is not an attempt as it were to 'contact the gods" via a sort of cathartic identification by means of mimicry---"acting out"--yet under strict controls--

or, on the camp theme--there is the impersonation aspect--but i don't think secret fluxus is into this

maybe more like textbook illustrations? or like those reenactments one finds at historical villages?--

it does--have to do with history, at the core of it--"getting it right"--

but yes consult ye dictionary!--

"for now we see, as through a glass darkly"--david-bc

>From: "secret fluxus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: FLUXLIST: Please define kitsch
>Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 20:40:42 +0100
>
>Dear Madawg,
>
>Could you please define what you mean by kitsch?
>
>We can't tell you if we feel we are doing kitsch until
>we know what you mean by kitsch.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Secret Fluxus
>

>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:30:40 EDT
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: FLUXLIST: question for secret fluxus
>
>do you feel that what you are doing is Kitsch? If not, why not?
>Madawg

>Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger
>http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups – now 2 months FREE!